Follow By Email

If you would like to follow my blog, please type your email below and follow the directions given.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Too Much Stuff

My bowls never looked this nice.
...continued from "Home is More Than Where You Sleep at Night"

I started by getting rid of things. My apartment was full of things. My grandmother's coffee cups. More than a dozen metal mixing bowls. Clothing and shoes I had owned since high school. Boxes and boxes of baby gear. Enough stuff to fill a three-bedroom house with a den and a living room all smooched into my 1100 square foot apartment. I needed to get rid of some things to make space for myself.

Exer-Saucer
(AKA Noisy Room Space Eater)
I started with the easy stuff: clothes Boy Two had outgrown, things that were clearly broken, the exer-saucer which had been taking up the entirety of my living room since I was five months pregnant. I found new places for all of these things. Some I gave away to friends, some I donated, and that monstrous exer-saucer made me enough money on Craig's list to buy myself three grande caramel macchiatos, each of which I savored. However, the hassle of selling things was more difficult than it was worth, and most things I gave to the Good Will. I would have preferred to donate to Outofthecloset.org, but I didn't realize there was one in Long Beach until later. I look forward to correcting my error.

Everyday in January I picked another thing to de-own. Three extra wooden spoons here, a set of beat-up tennis shoes there, a skirt that was too short in 2002, and four of my six over-sized black sweatshirts. (I used to have a thing about black sweatshirts.)

Now, the choices are harder, but not impossible. Somewhere along the way, I realized I don't have to wear clothes that I don't like just because I own them. I can pass these items along, pass them to someone who may find joy in them rather then housing them in my closet, abandoned and taking up space. I can trust in the future. I can belive that there will be enough of everything to be safe, clothed, and loved. I am not less valuable as a person if I get rid of a metal bowl that looks like any other bowl just because my grandfather used that particular bowl to make brownies when I was seven. My memories are mine, and I don't need to live in a maze of boxes to remember the people who love and loved me.

It only took me ten years to figure that out.





1 comment:

  1. I still have a ton of baby stuff lying around, but I stuffed them all in the garage ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comment! I look forward to approving it.